TODAY’S FEATURED ITEM:
READ MORE AND GET THE SUBMISSION DETAILS BY CLICKING ON THE ABOVE IMAGE. This is a really unique and fun opportunity,… I hope a lot of you cartoonists out there will be participating in this! I am one of the curator/editors for this project.
The newspaper industry is coughing blood and gasping on its deathbed. Newspapers lost their relevance a long time ago, and with internet media blossoming they can no longer compete. Readers and advertisers have moved on.
Unfortunately, newspapers are taking their beautiful bastard child, the newspaper comic strip, with them.
Today’s newspaper comics are much-maligned… and deservedly so. Today’s small strips, with mostly predictable, safe themes and bland characters are a pale shadow of what newspaper comics were in their wild and colorful youth.
110-or-so years from their birth, it’s been a good run. Let us not mourn the death of the newspaper comics… rather, let us have a wake to celebrate what they once were, and to build something new.
The International Cartoonist Conspiracy, Big Time Attic, and Altered Esthetics gallery are collaborating to produce an oversized newspaper comics section like they would do it today if they still did it like they did it in the old days.
It will be called BIG FUNNY, and it will be both.
The paper will premiere at a show at Altered Esthetics in August featuring some of the original art from the paper, along with historical comics pages from the dawn of the last century.
Submissions are open to all… no prior cartooning experience is necessary. While we expect to have a lot of cartoonists participate, we are hoping to also have poster artists, printmakers and artists from other disciplines represented.
DEADLINE IS MAY FIRST.
- Long-form strategy
- Fleischer’s Superman Feature???
- David B interview and a review
- D. J. David B. Spins Comics-Tunes: The M.M.M.S.
- Arflovers Presents I.T.C.H.
- BIG FUNNY: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS!
- The Girl with the Silver Eyes
- Driben my baby back home…
- *William Heath Robinson* 1872 ~ 1944 Old-Time Stories
- Scott’s Classic Comics Corner: Multiple Personality Disorder Titles Pt. 1
- Feb. 4, 2009: Minimum quality threshold
- Today’s Video Link
- Ralph Bakshi on Gene Deitch
- WFMU’s Old Codger with Courtney T. Edison from Feb 3, 2009
- No-fly list: $100 million a year pissed away
- Taken down from YouTube? EFF wants to help
- Babies in Color
- Sam’s Strip: The Comic About Comics by Mort Walker & Jerry Dumas – video preview (via Flickr)
- Video: Charles Schulz (1963)
- Welcome To the Official Francis E. Dec Fanclub!
- Free Fonts Generator – Make Your Own Handwriting Font With Your Fonts
- sita sings the blues
- Pugnacious Puffy Pants
- The Comic Reader (Street Enterprises)
- The Life of Christ in Cats
- Engrish.com t-shirts re-imagined as Mary Blair-style children’s book illos
- BB Video: How you can get involved in the torture cases documented in ‘OUTLAWED.’
- Feb. 3, 2009: We’re not dying, we swear
- Half a terabyte of public domain video, free for the downloading
- US passports can be read and copied from a moving car using a $250 rig
- Comprehensive excoriation of ebook stupidity
- Mitigate heart-disease risk by exercising for seven minutes a week
- Sequential Parts – “Starting Small”
- Recession Watch: Alt-Weekly cartoons
- In the Scarlet Star
- *Kay Nielsen* 1886 ~ 1957 Fairy Tales *by* Hans Christian Anderson
- Lying In The Gutters – 2-2-2009
- BAMBI LAYOUTS
- McCloud moves to First Second
- Tiempos Nuevos
- THE WORLDS MOST COLLECTIBLE SANDWICH!
- Floyd Gottfredson 1933
- Google Earth 5.0 Beta Released, Looks Incredible [Downloads]
- Disney duck family tree
- Women in bathing suits with ukuleles, 1926
- The Art of Storyboarding
- Extinct Ibex Is Back ~ By Cloning
- Gulliver’s Travels on DVD
- Interview: Lilli Carre Pt. 3 [of 3]
- S-1004 The Condors – “Ain’t That Just Like Me”
- Cartoon Brew TV #18: Superman’s Secret Cartoon History
- Magazine Market News UPDATED
- Baby Ballet
- What the Hell?
- Listen: Crumb talks to Pekar
- Listen to Mark Schultz on NPR’s “Science Friday”
- CBS Saturday Morning 1969
- anato cheval
- Happy National Gorilla Suit Day
- *N. C. Wyeth* Robinson Crusoe *by* Daniel DeFoe
- Jeff Tweedy poster
- Killer Serial Sunday Leftover Day.
- Famous Artists Cartoon Course – Lesson 8: Action and the Figure
- *Howard Pyle* 1853 ~ 1911 Yankee Doodle
- REALIST ARCHIVE FOR FEBRUARY
- Feb. 2, 2009: Some kind of ethical high ground thing
- “Jim will go wrestle the anaconda…”
- FFf Results Post #149 — End Of An Era
- Mark Ryden’s The Tree Show art book
- Judges jailed for taking bribes from private juvie…
- France to give free newspaper subs to 18 year olds
- Dumpster diving: the world’s most recession-proof job
- The curious case of Wonder Woman
- Porn Interrupts Comcast Super Bowl Broadcast [Comcast]
- Gaiman and Allred on Metamorpho – Awesome!
- *The Shadow* Pulp cover art *by* George Rozen
- evandorkin: More On CPSIA
- Coraline Box #40
- Dick Tracy Relaunched at IDW
- Famous Monsters of Filmland #20
- Félicien Challaye / S. Marchal (1946, Durel éditeur)
- ROBOT 6: First Second’s Mark Siegel
- Magazine : Thrilling Tales
- Mort Zuckerman: “Print Publishing Business Is An Oxymoron”
- Abe Singer: 1917