Another embarrassment of riches for you… it seems like the amount of cool old scans online has been increasing exponentially lately. Again, really hard to pick one item to feature. I mean, Marc Bell has a blog!
However, I’m guessing the link most of my readers will be the most drawn to today is again courtesy of Stephen Worth at the utterly fantastic ASIFA Hollywood Animation Archive blog. He has posted three old Sunday funnies sections in their entirety, along with an essay wondering what the hell happened to make newspaper comics sink to the depths they have sunk to today. Lots of beautiful stuff, scanned large and clean. Pictured below, a panel from Clifford McBride’s Napoleon, one of the many, many comics featured. Click it to see the full post!
- Rider in the Storm
- Murder Mansion
- Rhoda Trail: The Mysterious Stranger
- Lumped In Tuesday strip day.
- Friday Distraction: Cowboy Comics
from CR Briefings
- Chocolate Cheeks for 6/20/08
from FLOG! Entries
- It’s that Gahan Wilson boy again
- Daredevil Battles Hitler (Part 5) – Belief-defying Air Stunts
- Daredevil Battles Hitler (Part 4) – Super-Science to the Rescue
- Soony: Storyboards – Jim Tyer
- Fingers of Doom!
- Foxy Lady Saturday leftover day
- *Vampirella* 112 issues ~ Sept/1969-March/1983
- Herriman Saturday
- John Stanley Knows Serious Business
- Soft Boiled
- Tara: Satellite of the Moon Spiders!
- Frazetta’s “Werewolf!”
- Barney Rooster – Frank Frazetta
- Romance of Death
- Death While the Cat’s Away
- Serpent of Doom
- *Number 328* * Saucer Man!*
- Ask me anything. Sunday leftover day.
- Jim Ivey’s Sunday Comics
- Tubby the Scout: Ribtickler #3 1959 – Artist Unknown
- The Many Lives of Jim Corrigan – Part 1
- John Stanley Knows Kids and Beatniks
- The Phantom Ship
- The Fighting Yank vs. Blitz
- *Number 329* * * * No high-hattin’ for Hatlo!*
- Obscurity of the Day: The Little Woman, Way Out West and Jimmy And The Tiger
- Short post, tall tales. Monday cartoon day.
- Lefty by Tom Kay 1948
from Punch in Canada
- Peterkin Pottle
from Golden Reading
- What America Thinks III
- What America Thinks II
- What America Thinks 1941
- *Cover art by* *Frazetta* The full painting
- *Cover art by* *Gray Morrow* * **Art by* *Roy G. Krenkel*
- Meathaus Week on Vulture: Read a Complete Story by Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca
- *Eerie* 139 issues ~ Sept/1965-Feb/1983 *
- October 1960 STARE Magazine Cartoons
from Mike Lynch Cartoons
- Dorman Henry Smith (1892-1956)
- Some POGO right now sounds good
- The State of Cartooning: Newspaper Comics
- Treasury of Terror 1966
- Daredevil Battles Hitler (Part 3) – Hot Jungle Action
- Crime Crushers: The Case of the Dead Dog
- The Crawling Horror vs. The Thing Behind the Wall
- John Stanley is awesome, here’s why
- *Number 327* * Fremont Frog
- Hey Presto! Friday comic book day.
- What Is Dash Shaw’s Vision for ‘Ghost Rider’? Plus: An Exclusive Preview of Bottomless Belly Button
- Meathaus Week on Vulture: Read a Complete Story by Farel Dalrymple
- Meathaus Week on Vulture: Read a Complete Story by Zohar Lazar
- Truncate, Suffer!, Lime, Suede, Etc
- “Hi, It’s Me Again” and “Trippah!!!”
- Shrimpies For Sale
- Shrimpies and Shrimpies For Sale
- Welcome To Mennonite Dan’s 1st Annual Ribfest: BEFORE and After
- Amazing: Floor Folk BEFORE and AFTER!
- Absolutely Stupendous: Greetings From Calgary BEFORE…
- HOLY BANANAS: Avacore (this is only a digital representation)
- SIMPLY SCRUMPTIOUS: The State Of Thungs
- Q: Whut The? A: It’s “Society”
- So Very Interesting: “Worn Tuff Elbow” Before and After
- Thurber’s New Natural History
- ONE MOMENT, SIR!
from Mike Lynch Cartoons
- Cave Adventure, part 2
- Heroes Con, this weekend
from The Ephemerist